5 Things: Week of the Young Child, Big Shanty Festival
Here are five things you should know before you leave the house today.
1. Today will be partly sunny with a high near 84 and a 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2 p.m. Tonight's low will be around 55 with showers and thunderstorms likely between 8 p.m. and 2 a.m. and new rainfall amounts between a quarter to half an inch.
2. Saturday, Marine Cpl. Todd Love arrived at McCollum Airport in Kennesaw and was greeted by hundreds of friends, family and community members who welcomed him home from Afghanistan. Love, an Acworth native and a Recon Marine, lost both legs and his left arm from an IED explosion in October 2010. Look here for our video coverage of Love's arrival and homecoming celebration at Dallas Landing Park. You can also leave your "welcome home" messages in the comments section.
3. The City of Kennesaw is gearing up for its biggest event of the year, the 35th Annual Big Shanty Festival. Co-sponsored by the city and the Kennesaw Business Association, the event will take place April 16-17 in downtown Kennesaw and will feature live entertainment, a Civil War encampment, over 200 booths of artisans and vendors and more than 30 food stations. The city expects attendance to top 55,000 this year. The festivities kick off Saturday at 9:30 a.m. with a parade featuring local high school bands, colorful floats and over 1,000 young marchers. Nickelodeon star Leon Thomas III will also make an appearance and host a special benefit in support of the city's new teen center. Festival hours are from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday.
4. Beginning at 5 p.m. Friday, J.O. Stephenson Avenue/Cherokee Street will be closed from Dallas Street to Big Shanty to allow for festival setup. Streets along the parade route, which starts at Adams Park and continues down Main Street, will be closed from 9-11 a.m. Saturday.
5. Tomorrow kicks off The Week of the Young Child. The Southern Museum will offer free and reduced admission, as well as educational programs, for kids under the age of 8 from April 12-16. Check here for more details.