After leading the annual America is Your Park contest early on, Kennesaw’s Swift-Cantrell Park has slipped to fifth place as of 2 p.m. Monday. The park needs more votes by the July 15 deadline in order to win the $100,000 prize.
Sponsored by Coca-Cola, the online contest encourages park goers across the nation the vote online for their favorite parks. America's Favorite Park earns $100,000, second place wins $50,000 and third place receives $25,000. A $15,000 grant will also be awarded at random to a park placing from 4th to 25th.
City officials said in a release that if Swift-Cantrell wins, the funds will be used to purchase and install outdoor fitness stations along the park trails.
Here's how to vote:
1. Visit livepositively.com/parks, click on the interactive map to locate Swift-Cantrell Park, and cast your vote to earn one point for the park.
2. Even better, check in at Swift-Cantrell Park using the foursquare mobile app on your smartphone to earn 100 points. You must register your foursquare account at livepositively.com/parks before you check in. Follow the directions to accept the application permissions.
3. Keep voting! There is no limit to the number of votes one person can cast. You can also check in as many times as Foursquare permits, which is currently once per 15-minute period, three times per hour, and up to 28 times daily.
The city released the following 10 reasons to get involved in the campaign:
1. If awarded, the grant would be used to install outdoor fitness stations along the park trails, which will contribute to the health and wellness of children, teens, adults and seniors.
2. The addition of outdoor fitness stations at the park will bring people together who have similar interests.
3. The addition of outdoor fitness stations at the park will offer FREE physical activity opportunities for at-risk youth, low-income children and families, and special populations.
4. Winning the title of "America's Favorite Park" could help improve the local tax base and increase property values.
5. Winning the title of "America's Favorite Park" could attract new or relocating businesses to Kennesaw.
6. Winning the title of "America's Favorite Park" could attract more visitors to the park, who will support local businesses.
7. Winning the title of "America's Favorite Park" could increase the likelihood of obtaining additional funding for the park.
8. Winning the title of "America's Favorite Park" could strengthen Kennesaw's community spirit and civic pride.
9. Getting involved can help build a bond between your family and other members of the community.
10. Because it FEELS GREAT to give back to Kennesaw.
For more details, call 770-424-9714 or visit www.kennesaw-ga.gov/pkrec.