1. It will be hot and humid but not stormy today, the National Weather Service says. The high will be about 93, and the overnight low should be around 64. And Hurricane Irene shouldn’t be an issue for the Georgia coast until the end of the week.
2. Congratulations to the , which the Georgia Recreation and Parks Association named the 2011 Agency of the Year for cities with 20,000 to 30,000 residents Thursday. Accepting the award at a banquet in Macon were City Manager Steve Kennedy, City Council member Jeff Duckett, Parks and Recreation Director Doug Taylor, Assistant Director Ben Southard, programs manager David Pies, athletic coordinator Lane Reid, park supervisor Mike Loner and administrative assistant Selina Hadley.
3. It’s a quiet day on the local sports scene. varsity volleyball team will play at Mount Pisgah at 5 p.m., and the JV team will play host to Mount Paran at 5 and Fellowship at 6.
4. The / Naval Junior ROTC unit is holding its annual welcome picnic Saturday from noon to 4 p.m. at . It’s free for all cadets and their families, but you must RSVP by Tuesday.
5. The and will share a free lunch today with the Cobb legislative delegation in Room 506 of the Coverdell Legislative Office Building near the state Capitol. The lunch meeting will cover Cobb projects in the and the proposed reapportionment for the districts for the two boards. A lobbyist from the law firm of Hall, Booth, Smith & Slover is paying for the lunch. The meeting runs from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.