Since she was struck by a pickup in the early morning of Feb. 16, ex-Kennesaw State University student Emily Bowman was said to have been walking with a friend on Oak/Oconee Street.
But according to a story in the Athens Banner Herald, the 19-year-old Cherokee County native was standing by herself in front of City Electric, 410 Oak Street. Bowman was waiting for her friend to return from the back of the building, where he had gone to relieve himself, when she was hit by a pickup allegedly driven by William Wilson Heaton.
The impact threw her to the ground, slamming her head against the concrete curb, the story says. The new information comes from documents filed in Clarke County Superior Court.
Before the incident, Heaton had been drinking in Bar Code downtown, according to the story. Investigators relied on information taken from the bar employees and the bar's surveillance cameras to charge Heaton with DUI.
Released from Athens Regional after spending three weeks in a coma, Emily Bowman is now at home, recovering, so she can return to the Shepherd Center. She hasn't spoken and cannot lift her head.
- April 8: Pizza Hut to Help Emily Bowman
- March 30: Emily Bowman Needs Temporary Home
- March 8:
- March 7: $50K Bond Set for Hit-and-Run Suspect
- March 7: Suspect Surrenders in Hit-and-Run Case
- March 6: Arrest Warrants Issued in Hit-and-Run
- March 4: Emily Bowman Comes Off Ventilator
- March 1:
- Feb. 22: Police Continue Investigation As Emily Bowman Fights For Her Life
- Feb. 20: UPDATE: 'Bows For Bowman' Created For Woodstock Teen Critically Injured in Hit-and-Run
- Feb. 19: Pickup Truck in Hit-and-Run Registered to Cartersville Man
- Feb. 18: Prognosis Not Good for Former KSU Student Injured in Athens Hit-and-Run
- Feb. 17: Hit-and-Run Driver Strikes Kennesaw State University Student in Athens